I was involved in a car accident and was pretty badly injured. Do I have to file a claim under the other driver's personal injury protection (PIP) coverage?

Pennsylvania is a choice no-fault car insurance state. Under this system, your car insurance will cover medical treatment expenses regardless of who was at fault. Those who purchase no-fault coverage when buying car insurance will be able to file a claim under their personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.

Moreover, when purchasing car insurance in Pennsylvania, drivers have to choose between “limited tort” and “full tort” coverage. Limited tort insurance limits the ability to sue for pain and suffering in case of a car accident. Full tort means that individuals can sue for all damages in an even of a car accident.

Other Car Accident FAQs:


I would recommend them to anyone and have.

John is a great attorney. John and his staff promptly return calls and emails when you have questions and concerns not only when the process starts but all the way to completion. John and his staff have been a godsend throughout. I would recommend them to anyone and have.

At our firm, we are familiar with car accidents and understand that all collisions are not the same, so our approach to each case is also different. Your Erie personal injury lawyer from MP2 Placidi & Parini has your back.