What can you do if you are injured in a car accident by an uninsured driver?

If you are injured in a car accident by an uninsured driver, you may still be able to recover compensation for your losses. Pennsylvania’s choice no-fault auto insurance means you can access your own no-fault policy to cover some of your medical care. This is the case no matter who caused the crash. If there are other accident-related damages, Placidi, Parini, Grasinger & Page can help you file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company.

Generally, there are two options open to you for seeking compensation. The first is predicated on you having uninsured motorist coverage and filing a claim on that policy. 

At Placidi, Parini, Grasinger & Page, we review your policy to see if there is this optional coverage. If you have the right coverage, we can assist in proving your case and documenting your damages, file a claim and negotiate with your insurance company for a fair settlement. 

There may also be other insurance policies that may apply to you if you live in a household with different motor-vehicle insurance policies.

If you do not carry uninsured motorist insurance, you may be able to litigate your case. In filing a personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to hold the uninsured driver personally liable for your damages. That said, there are some difficulties in this approach. The at-fault driver may not be able to pay for the damages. That means we can only collect what resources they do have. Before we file a suit against an uninsured driver, we check their financial situation.

If the uninsured driver can pay for your damages, two types can be recovered via a personal injury lawsuit – non-economic and economic damages. Economic damages include medical expenses not covered by no-fault insurance, present and future costs for care, lost income for the future, lost wages for the present, the replacement or repair of your vehicle, and other property damage.

If you happen to have full tort insurance coverage or you have limited tort but sustained serious injuries, you may be able to recover non-economic losses, commonly referred to as pain and suffering.

When you come for your free case consultation at Placidi, Parini, Grasinger & Page, we thoroughly discuss your case, look at various options for financial recovery, thoroughly investigate the cause of the collision, collect proof, document all accident-related damages, assess the value of your case, file an uninsured motorist claim and try to negotiate with the insurance company.

Other Car Accident FAQs: