A first time driver is often faced with some tough situations. If you have been driving for years, it is easy to navigate pedestrians, traffic and other issues. If you are a new driver, it is not so easy because judging the distance, speed, driver and pedestrian behavior requires skill and knowledge gained after many years of practice.
Here is a list of tips from our law firm:
- Make sure you have completed a structured driving training course with a licensed, knowledgeable instructor.
- Make sure you have the proper and required license to drive and that you are following the driving rules and regulations.
- Make sure you study and understand the rules of the road and what all the signs and signals mean.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Stick to the posted speed limit.
- Buckle up – seat belts save lives.
- Always use turn signals to alert other drivers where you are going.
- Do not drive and text or use your cellphone or other e-device.
- Have a driving plan in mind to reach your destination.
- Leave for your destination early so you are not in a rush to get there.
- Do not drive and eat or drink.
- Focus on driving.
- Drive a well maintained, safe and reliable vehicle.
- Try to find an area where the traffic is not bumper-to-bumper.
- Do not follow another car or other vehicle too closely.
- Practice driving in all kinds of weather.
- If you do not know how to handle a situation while driving, ask someone with more experience.
- Do not have too many passengers in the vehicle at once.
- Drive mindfully.
- Learn to adjust speed smoothly and when necessary.
At Melaragno, Placidi & Parini, we understand that being a new driver is exciting but also stressful. Stay safe out there. In case of an accident know that our law firm at Melaragno, Placidi & Parini is here to help.