What is a letter of protection? What is a doctor's lien?
A letter of protection (LOP) is also referred to as a medical or doctor’s lien. This document is drafted by an attorney for an injured client and sent to the medical professional who treated the client. The letter of protection is a contract, assuring the doctor that they are to receive payment when the client’s personal injury case is settled or goes to trial and wins a jury award. If a settlement or trial award is reached, the attorney is obligated to pay the doctor’s medical costs from the funds.
If a plaintiff’s lawsuit is not settled and there is no recovery, the injured client is obligated to pay the doctor’s bill. The doctor also has the right to claim for the total costs of a bill.
The doctor may opt to provide treatment knowing they may not be paid right away. To ensure they receive reimbursement, they may accept a LOP in place of immediate payment. Some physicians ask you to sign a version they created of a LOP. It would give the doctor and absolute right to payment against your personal injury lawsuit. Do not sign this right away. Speak to your attorney at Placidi, Parini, Grasinger & Page. In some instances, the lawyer representing you may have a LOP that they prefer to use.
Other Personal Injury FAQs:
- How Do I Know If I Have a Viable Personal Injury Case?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Claim in Erie, Pennsylvania?
- How Long Will It Take to Settle My Personal Injury Case?
- If I Have A Personal Injury Case, Will I Need To Go To Court?
- Is There A Difference Between Personal Injury Attorneys and Other Attorneys?
- What Could Happen in My Injury Case? Are They All the Same?
- What Documents Do I Need to Provide to An Attorney For A Personal Injury Claim?
- What Is A Letter of Protection? What Is A Doctor’s Lien?
- What Is A Slip and Fall Accident?
- What Is The Average Payout For A Personal Injury Claim?
- What to Look For in a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Will I Have to go to Court For My Personal Injuries?
I would recommend them to anyone and have.
John is a great attorney. John and his staff promptly return calls and emails when you have questions and concerns not only when the process starts but all the way to completion. John and his staff have been a godsend throughout. I would recommend them to anyone and have.