Can I convert from a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 or from a Chapter 7 to a Chapter 13 in Pennsylvania?
Yes, you can convert either way, provided you meet some requirements.
You can convert a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 at any time provided you have not already received a Chapter 7 discharge within the last eight years. You file a notice of conversion with the court and pay a conversion fee. Also, in order to do this, you must still qualify for Chapter 7 to complete your case to discharge.
It is fairly easy to convert a Chapter 7 to a Chapter 13. You must file a motion requesting the court’s permission, send the motion to all creditors, the trustee and any other parties that may be interested, and go to a short hearing. If there are no objections, things usually proceed.
There are some situations where you cannot convert from a Chapter 7 to a Chapter 13 and they include:
- You are not qualified for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy
- You already converted your case from another Chapter
- You acted in bad faith, such as attempting to hide assets
At Placidi, Parini, Grasinger & Page, we walk you through all the choices that are available to you based on your financial situation. We understand how difficult it is to file bankruptcy and make sure you understand all the options open to you to move forward.
Other Bankruptcy FAQs:
- Are Alimony Debts and Payments Discharged in Bankruptcy?
- Are Income Taxes Dischargeable in Bankruptcy?
- Are My Student Loans Dischargeable in Bankruptcy?
- Can A Creditor Repossess My Car Without Informing Me?
- Can Bankruptcy Help My Credit Score?
- Can Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Save My Home From Foreclosure?
- Can I Convert From a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 or From a Chapter 7 to a Chapter 13 in Pennsylvania?
- Can I discharge A Federal Tax Lien?
- Can I File Chapter 7 and Still Keep My Car?
- Can I Keep My Boat If I File A Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?
- Can I Keep My Car After Filing Chapter 13?
- Can I Keep My Vacation Home If I File Bankruptcy?
- Can My Bankruptcy Be Denied?
- Does a Chapter 13 Ruin Your Credit?
- Does Filing Bankruptcy Result in Increased Taxes?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Bankruptcy Lawyer in Pennsylvania?
- How Often Can I File For Bankruptcy in Pennsylvania?
- What Happens to Your Car Loan When You File Chapter 7?
- What to Do If Your Wages Are Garnished in Pennsylvania?
- Will Filing Chapter 7 Hurt My Credit?
- Will I Lose My Retirement Account if I File For Bankruptcy?
- Will The Trustee Come to My House?