Summer Safety Tips for Motorcycle Enthusiasts
Jun 11, 2020
Summer is in the air. Riding a motorcycle in the open air and taking in the amazing scenery is something most bikers love. These incentives, while tempting and enjoyable, can also lead to accidents.
As more bikers venture out on Pennsylvania roads, safety should become a larger concern. Motorcycle crashes in Pennsylvania resulted in 2,611 injuries and 164 deaths in 2018 – according to the latest data from the PennDOT. The statistics revealed that:
- 40 percent of riders who were involved in a fatal motorcycle crash were wearing a helmet
- 90.5 percent of motorcycle crashes resulted in injury or death
- Motorcycle fatalities accounted for 14 percent of traffic deaths, but were involved in only 10 percent of the collisions
Pennsylvania is concerned for the safety of bikers as each year injuries and deaths go up statewide. While passenger vehicles need to be on the lookout for motorcycles, motorcyclists need to be alert and wary around other vehicles. Keep safety in mind every single time you head out.
Here are a few safety tips to consider:
- Motorcycles get a full lane. Keep your distance.
- Stay alert when making a left-hand turn.
- Watch for distracted drivers.
- Know and avoid blind spots.
- Position your motorcycle where you are most likely to be seen while you keep distance.
- Drivers can look without seeing. Do not rely on eye contact.
- For a blind intersection, move over to get into the driver’s line of sight.
- Wear a helmet no matter what your age.
- Check your ride multiple times and do it every time you hit the road.
- Get reflective tape for your gear and bike or wear bright clothing.
- Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Stick to the speed limit.
- Always ride with the best safety gear you can buy.
- Never ride too close to any other vehicle.
- Always leave time and enough space to react in an emergency.
- If the traffic around you changes speed, adapt and match it.
- Ride with your headlamp on.
- Stay in a lane where you can clearly see oncoming traffic.
Stay safe and ride right. Some crashes are inevitable. However, taking precautions can save your life.
If you have been in a motorcycle crash, talk to us at Melaragno, Placidi & Parini. We are experienced motorcycle accident attorneys. We know how to best assist you to obtain the compensation you need and deserve for your injuries.