Most Common Questions About Car Accidents

In the aftermath of a car crash, you may be not only hurt but also feel overwhelmed and confused. Car accidents are not only frightening, but they can also be costly in several ways. These include physical injuries and damage to your vehicle. When clients come to our offices at MP2 Placidi & Parini, they have many questions. This blog outlines some of the most common questions we receive. One of the many questions we get at MP2 Placidi & Parini relates to who gets to decide as to where a vehicle gets fixed. Typically, this will depend on which insurance company is paying for any repairs. Every insurance company has its own policy about payments, and some insurers let you choose where you want to have your vehicle repaired, and some have preferred providers. Of course, since the damaged vehicle was likely disabled and in need of towing, many people have numerous questions about this process. The most common questions that get asked are: Who pays the towing bill? Who pays for storing the vehicle? Often, the at-fault driver’s insurance company is usually responsible for paying those costs. However, the not-at-fault driver’s insurance company may pay for the towing and storage fees and then attempt to recover the payments from the at-fault driver’s insurer. Another question we often get is who decides if the car is totaled or if it can be repaired? It is the insurance company that is paying out on a claim that makes the decision as to whether the vehicle can be repaired or is to be totaled. What usually happens is that they estimate the damages incurred and the value of the car. If the cost of fixing the vehicle is higher than a certain percentage of the market value of the car, then the vehicle is totaled.  What if you are paying off a bank loan on your vehicle? Who pays the loan? What if your car is financed? Who makes that payment? If your vehicle has been totaled, the insurance company paying fair market value pays the finance company or loan. In some instances, there may be a gap between the fair market value and the outstanding balance. If you have guaranteed asset protection (GAP) insurance, then that should cover the remainder. GAP is usually bought when someone buys a new vehicle. If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, contact the car accident lawyers at MP2 Placidi & Parini. We will answer all your questions and help you file a claim. We have decades of experience in dealing with auto accident claims and are here to help you navigate the legal and insurance maze. MP2 Placidi & Parini are with you every step of the way, helping you to maximize your auto accident claim.